Sister Ruth Wynne and Sister Betty Adams, co-founders of Jesus House, opened Jesus House in 1973 in a storefront building at Reno and Walker Avenues. The ministry began as a step of faith with very few resources. In the early days, Jesus House moved often, mostly due to a continuing need for a larger space. However, regardless of its location, Jesus House was always on the frontlines of service providing the poor with food, clothing, shelter and spiritual encouragement.
Early in 1980, Jesus House moved to an old frame house on 9th & Walker. “The 9th Street Days” are remembered by many as a time of family atmosphere and for the round table where Bible study went on pretty well all the time. A janitor crew, composed of Ruth, Betty, and anyone else who would pitch in, worked nights cleaning office buildings to support the ministry.
In 1983, Jesus House was formally incorporated as an Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. 1983 was also the year that Jesus House moved to its current location in the old Orchard Park School building at 1335 W. Sheridan Avenue in Oklahoma City.
This historic old school building was constructed in 1938. Today the school building serves as the center of Jesus House shelter operations with a total shelter capacity of over 100 and a kitchen which serves over 100,000 meals a year.
Sometime later, Jesus House purchased the commercial warehouse facility immediately across the street from the shelter facility. Our warehouse facility is the center for community outreach distributing groceries, clothing and used furniture to one of the most economically depressed neighborhoods in Oklahoma City.